Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Non-linear narrative.

I get that this woman is enjoying her whirlwind of holiday cheer:



But what in God's name is going on with the child's makeup in the very first shot? For the entire rest of the commercial I was distracted from all of the other products Kohl's seems to be promoting because I didn't understand why the five year old's face was tarted up like a Vegas showgirl. In addition, why the one poor little boy whose parents dressed him as a toy soldier while the other children seem to be wearing normal (if a bit festive) clothes? Why the oversized chalkboard in the dining room, which is, for some reason, a giant skating rink?

I like to think that this is a dream sequence from a woman who's really in a nuthouse somewhere, twirling around in an empty cell.

2 comments:

Windier E. Megatons said...

I watched the video before I read any of the post, and yeah, same deal. After I saw that girl I just found myself staring at the other kids' faces to see if they were messed up too, like the woman's party was being attended by Oompa-Loompas or something. Maybe this is what happens when you're too cheap to hire a makeup artist for your commercial shoot. "I did it myself!" "Okay, Kaylee, whatever you say."

Andrew N.P. said...

While I can't vouch for the "nuthouse" part, I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be a dream sequence. And like most dreams, it doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Does Kohl's even sell any of the stuff in this commercial?