Saturday, June 9, 2007

The dumbest ad campaign in the world

Well, maybe not. But Dos Equis' new campaign, which runs concurrently on both TV and radio, is remarkably idiotic.



Few things grate on me more than ads that promote their products using things they just made up themselves as proof. The funny thing is that Dos Equis doesn't even do it well.

Narrator: "The police often question him, just because they find him interesting."

Okay. Sure they do.

Narrator: "His beard alone has experienced more than a lesser man's entire body."

Is it Chuck Norris? It's Chuck Norris, right?

Narrator: "His blood smells like cologne."

That's... actually kind of gross.

Narrator: "He is... the most interesting man in the world."

Has this commercial made a compelling case for their subject being interesting? No. They've basically just ripped off the style of internet meme extraordinaire the Chuck Norris Facts, thrown in a handful of stupid visuals, and called it a day. But wait! Our imaginarily interesting pitchman has something to say!

Man of Questionable Interest: "I don't always drink beer..."

Come on, Dos Equis. Even your pitchman only uses your product sporadically?

MoQI: "...but when I do [inexplicably dramatic pause] I prefer Dos Equis."

Well, that's some testimonial! I'm definitely going to trust the opinion of the most interesting man in the world! Oh, I forgot. This is a guy you completely made up and have failed to prove is even remotely interesting. Other than that, I'm totally sold.

MoQI: "Stay thirsty, my friends."

Make up your fucking mind, Dos Equis. Between the pitchman admitting to only sometimes drinking beer and the exhortation to "stay thirsty" (by drinking less Dos Equis?), I'm not convinced that these guys want me to use their product at all! It just rings of bad technique, like they built around the "most interesting man" idea but forgot to follow standard ad rules that actually involve promotion of the product. The only way I could see this being worse is if MoQI said "I prefer Dos Equis, and also the occasional Michelob."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill Brasky would kick this guy's ass.

Anonymous said...

A brilliant ad.

Anonymous said...

well no shit they didnt want you to be hooked on the beer because of a made up character.

how come when anyone thinks of something creative idiots like you critisize it.