Monday, March 19, 2007

Ad nausea

If you're like me, you probably spend a fair amount of time watching television. And, if you're like me, that means you see a lot of ads. (I'm lucky enough to have TiVo, which allows me to spare myself on occasion, but not nearly often enough.) And if you are, once more, like me, you probably hate the vast majority of these ads.

Here, then, is a place to rant. Because despite all the money that goes into advertising each year, the vast majority of companies, and the Madison Avenue stalwarts they employ, can't seem to avoid putting total garbage over the airwaves. It's Sturgeon's Law writ large, and that's on a good day. I'll be sure to cite examples of ads that actually do their jobs - being good, or funny - but let's face it, it's a lot more cathartic to rail at the crap. And there's plenty of that to go around.

No comments: